It’s Christmas! And in my house that can only mean VanilleKipferl time 😋
This recipe was handed down to me from my Viennese father-in-law ❤️ However I have obviously put my Vegan spin on it! It tastes even better (words straight from my hubby’s mouth) 😂
A beautifully gift wrapped tin of these makes the best christmas gift, if they manage to make it out the house 🤷🏾♀️
These little gems have a crumbly texture and simply melt in your mouth.
- 1 cup vegan butter (like earth balance or miyokos kitchen)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups almond meal
- garnish: confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a mixing bowl with a hand held beater or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and water and mix for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt and almond meal.
- Add the dry mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and combine until a stiff dough forms, 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, shape each into a ball. Place the balls in a sealed plastic bag or covered bowl in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Remove one ball of dough from the refrigerator. Roll it into a rope, 12 inches long. Cut the rope into 12 even pieces. Roll each piece into a 3-4 inch rope and shape it into a crescent. Repeat with the remaining dough, removing one ball of dough from the refrigerator at a time, until you have filled one tray.
- Just to simplify it, here is a link where you can see how to roll and shape cookies! https://youtu.be/Zr_gYRMC4oM
- Bake the cookies, one tray at a time, for 11-12 min, until the tips of the crescents just start to turn a light golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. (And place your second, cool tray with shaped cookies in the oven to bake, if necessary.) Let the baked cookies rest on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes while you prepare your sugar mixture.
- You can simply just use confectioners or make this simple sugar Mix! ½ c powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar together in a shallow bowl.
- Take the warm cookies from the baking sheet and carefully coat them in the sugar mixture. Place the coated cookies on a wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat as needed with the remaining cookies.
- Once cooled transfer them to an air tight container to store for up to 1 week. The cookies will keep for several days stored.
If feels like a long process but once you get into the swing of it its easy!
Enjoy my lovelies 🙏🏾❤️🤪